What To Expect At Wilmont
- We have convenient Visitor and Handicapped parking near the entrance to our Welcome Center. Use the southeast parking lot in front of the Gym.
- There are Greeters at our Welcome Center before our 9:30 a.m. Sunday school and before our 10:45 worship service. They are stationed at our entrances to help you find your way around our campus.
- We take your safety while at Wilmont seriously. You will see some of our safety team wearing name tags. But you should know there are safety team members and procedures in place you won’t see, all to keep members safe while we worship.
What Is Sunday School?
We have age segregated classes and specialty classes for adults to choose from. Our greeters can point you in the right direction.
- Infants (birth to 5 years old)
- Children (1st graders to 6th graders)
- Youth (7th graders to 12th graders)
- College-aged young adults
- Parents (coordinating with children's curriculum)
- New Member and Discipleship 101 (D101)
- Women of all ages
- Adults (co-ed, men's, women's, and age specific classes)
What Should I Wear?
Most people wear business casual but you will find some more casual than that. Our pastor wears a button down shirt with slacks, and sometimes a blazer. Wear what is both reasonable and appropriate for you in worship. You will be accepted.
What About Music?
Our music is a range of traditional hymns, sometimes sung with more modern music, and popular worship songs you might hear on the radio. We call that blended. We focus less on the music than we do the theology, believing that the words we offer to the Lord in worship are important. All of our musicians and choir are normal people. Skill levels vary. Our music is an act of worship by everyday people, not a professional performance.
Our Worship Services
We meet in our sanctuary that seats about 300 people.
- We begin by greeting one another. Some step out of the seat to say hello to others. Some stay seated. Neither is inappropriate.
- We sing songs, sometimes standing and sometimes sitting. Sing along with us.
- We take an offering during worship. Offering plates are passed. You are not required to give anything. Just pass the plate to the next person beside you. Giving is a part of worship for our members. It’s for the Lord, not for the church. For our visitors, we have a visitor card in the pew pocket in front of your seat, please fill it out and place it into the offering plate. We would love to get to know you better.
- The pastor will preach a message from the Bible. He uses the New American Standard Version, but you can follow along in whatever version you bring. If you don’t have a Bible, you will be able to follow along easily. He preaches text-driven sermons, meaning that you will be able to see the truths in the Bible text itself.
- We have an “invitation” at the end of the sermon. It is a time for reflection and obedience. Some will be singing while others will be praying in their seat. Some might even come to the front of the church to either pray by themselves at the altar (the steps in front of the stage) or to counsel and pray with someone from our ministerial staff. Needs requiring longer attention will be referred to a later time for followup or to a counselor from our membership. Nothing will ever be forced on you. If you desire, there are counseling rooms where you can meet with someone after worship.
Need a Bible?
You will find it easier to follow along with your own copy of the Bible. Our pastor preaches, often referring to the text of the Bible, using the New American Standard in our corporate worship. If you don't have a Bible, you can pick up a free copy from our church library before or after each worship event.
Worship Time For Our Kids
Children 4 years old and above start out in our sanctuary together with their parents at 10:45 a.m.
- On the first Sunday of each month, we have a children’s church worship time where our children are invited to join adult leaders in our children's worship area for age appropriate lessons and worship.
- We are currently in search of our next Children’s minister. Until that position is filled, our children 4 years old through 4th grade are invited to the front of the church with their parents during morning worship for a Bible lesson from our pastor. It is short and intended to teach parents how to have God-conversations with their children. It is a highlight of our morning worship.
- Worship bulletins for children are available before church or right after the children’s lesson time to help your children follow along while you worship.
- All of our children’s workers have passed strict background checks and have been cleared to work with children. You are welcome to observe your children in worship. Just let an usher, children’s worker, or staff member know your desire. You will be accompanied by a member of our safety team while you are in the worship area with the children.
What about Babies and Preschoolers?
Children 0-3 years old are welcome to stay with you in church. Please make use of our foyer, restrooms, or nursery if their activity during worship distracts you. Children left in the nursery are watched by paid and volunteer staff members who have all passed strict background checks.
- Please bring anything the children's workers may need to help care for your child including diapers, bottles/food, allergy information, contact information for a parent or guardian, and an extra set of clothes (for those unanticipated accidents). Please do not bring baby monitors or other electronics. If the need arises, our workers will text you in the worship services.
- Parents or guardians will be required to drop off and pick up children. Your child will not be released to someone our workers do not recognize to have dropped off the child.
Will Someone Contact Me?
Maybe. We are excited to visit those who visit us. We do not contact you to pressure you into anything beyond your visit. We contact you because we sincerely want you to know you are welcome and to give you a chance to visit with some in our congregation. We want to demonstrate that we are available to help you in your spiritual journey. If you wish not to be contacted, please indicate your desire on the visitor card that you turn in to the offering plate.